Please refer to our new Blog Post about including Cumulative Updates:
Hey, here’s Martin again.
This is an often discussed Topic, but now, I found a nice solution to get rid of the Problems when you want to include a cumulative update to your Task Sequence. Also since we got a 32-bit and 64-bit Client for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, the issues are getting bigger.
Now, this is how I include a cumulative update in OSD, described on the example of CU3 of SCCM 2012 SP1, which is already installed on the Site. First, I create a new SCCM Client Package:
Copy the Content of “$SCCMInstallationClient” to your Package Source Share, it should then look like this:
When this is done you can create a Folder named Patch on the same Level as the Folders I386 and x64 already exist, inside this newly created Folder, create two Folders named AMD64 and X86:
Now you have to copy the patches from “$SCCMInstallationhotfixKB2882125Client” (replace the KB-Number when using this blog for something else than CU3) into the correct subfolder from the previous step.
-> Important: Rename the files, that means remove the System Architecture from the file:
New-CMPackage -Name "SCCM Client 2012 SP1 CU3" -Language "MUI" -Manufacturer "Microsoft" -Path "$PATH_TO_YOUR_PACKAGE" -Version "2012 SP1 CU3"
And we don’t need to create a program, because we only use this package within our Task Sequence. Distribute the Package to your Distribution Points, and we are ready to start for the magic inside our TS (For this, thanks to Dustin / http://deploymentramblings.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/installing-configmgr-2012-sp1-cu2-during-osd/).
Make sure, that you set a Variable when formatting your System Drive, on BIOS an UEFI:
Then use this variable also to deploy Windows on the correct Drive:
Now create a simple “Run Command Line” step in your Task Sequence, right before the step “Setup Windows and Configuration Manager” where you copy the file to a Folder on the System Drive. This Folder and the Content will remain after the Installation, so you have to delete them with another step.
As you might recognize, the Variable %Processor_Architecture% is used. The command for my Situation:
cmd.exe /c xcopy Patch%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%*.* %OSD_System%tempCU3Hotfix /E /H /C /I /Q /Y
This is the Installation property that I use:
SMSCACHEFLAGS=PERCENTDISKSPACE;NTFSONLY SMSCACHESIZE=10 SMSMP=$MP-FQDN FSP=$FSP-FQDN PATCH="C:tempCU3Hotfixconfigmgr2012ac-sp1-kb2882125.msp"
If it is not working, you forgot to rename the MSP-Files 🙂
Hope this helps, and again thanks to Dustin (http://deploymentramblings.wordpress.com/)!