Today I would like to share my experience with troubleshooting a overcommitted security admin with less knowledge than it would be required (In fact, I’m talking about me here). Some month ago, I read about NTLM (v2 as well), and I decided to restrict NTLM in my LAB, to check what is working afterwards, and what stops working. To my surprise, everything went smooth, and I could not find an issue. So I forgot about this setting, everything seems to work, and it did.
Lastly I decided to cut off Direct Access, since Microsoft does not invest in its future, and for other reasons, I’m not required to have a permanent connection to the LAB from remote, a VPN would be sufficient. I’m using WorkFolders as well, and secured it with Azure MFA, the same should apply to my VPN connection, the authentication should be not only be covered by Username and Password. With this, the goal was set, and I built up the LAB. Everything went nice, until the first VPN client wanted to connect. The NPS Server gave me the error:
“The client could not be authenticated because the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Type cannot be processed by the server.”